Easily the most important thing that everyone talked and posted about this week was Google killing the search referrals for logged in users. There were a bunch of great posts by people like Rhea Drysdale, Ian Lurie and Rand Fishkin about it but I refuse to allow it to occupy 7 posts. So here we go:
- Google Puts a Price on Privacy by Danny Sullivan - Danny wrote the most comprehensive post about the Search referrer situation with Google and signed in users. Why I think it’s important: Do I really have to answer this at this point?
- Avinash Kaushik shows you how to estimate the impact of the Referrer change by Avinash Kaushik - Avinash shows you on Google Plus a method for identifying how much the referral change will affect your reporting. Why I think it’s important: As with any change the big G makes, it’s important to know the impact on your ability to market.
- A Tale of Two Studies: Establishing Google & Bing Click-Through Rates by SlingShotSEO - The good people on the SlingshotSEO Research and Development team return with a study of CTR for Bing to follow up their Google CTR study from this summer. Why I think it’s important: It’s cool to see how abysmal Bing’s CTR is.
- How to Recruit an SEO by Matthew Ogston - Matthew talks to some SEO luminaries about what they look for in candidates for SEO roles. Why I think it’s important: This is a great guide for those looking for SEO roles right now and those looking for SEOs.
- The Power of Slideshare for Inbound Marketing by Tom Critchlow - Tom talks about leveraging Slideshare to gain exposure and reach. Why I think it’s important: Slideshare is awesome. The first deck I put up there got on the front page as well so I can attest to everything Tom is saying in his post. There’s also some really good decks that he features in the post.
- Download The Latest Google Search Quality Rating Guidelines by Barry Schwartz - Barry Schwartz alerts us of a newly leaked Google Search Quality Rating Guidelines document. Why I think it’s important: It’s good to know what G is looking for.
- SEO Copywriting Cheatsheet by Ian Lurie – Ian puts out the guide that will be the only thing I send to every copywriter I work with from now on. Why I think it’s important: Because Ian has saved me from yelling at copywriters. =]